Congressional Caucus on Foster Youth invites you to attend a
Legislative Policy Briefing: A National Agenda to Ensure Every Child Has a Family
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, Congressional Meeting Room South
Children and youth who cannot remain with their birth families deserve to grow up in a supported kinship, foster or adoptive family. Advocates for Families First is a national coalition of organizations that is proposing a national policy agenda to promote this goal for kids at risk from abuse or neglect.
Generations United, the National Foster Parent Association, and the North American Council on Adoptable Children have come together to work for successful outcomes for the children who live in these families and to assist families in providing excellent care for them. Our recommendations focus on:
- Providing kids at risk of neglect or abuse with permanency in a family setting, whether they return to their birth family or live permanently with another family.
- Prioritizing family care when removal from the birth family is necessary.
- Providing caregivers with the training and preparation necessary to meet the needs of children in their homes.
- Ensuring that children and youth have opportunities to participate fully in their case planning, and that caregivers have the right to make decisions for the children in their care.
- Giving children and youth the support and services they need to be stable and successful in their lives.
- Congressman Dave Camp (R-MI) and other legislative representatives
- Karen Poteet, Oklahoma Department of Human Services and adoptive parent
- Joe Kroll, Executive Director of North American Council on Adoptable Children
- Caregivers and youth in foster care will share stories of how policy change would impact their lives
Please click here to RSVP .
Our work is made possible through the generous funding of the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, and the Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative.
This event is co-sponsored by Alliance for Children and Families, Child Welfare League of America, Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, Donaldson Adoption Institute, Foster and Adoptive Parent Advocacy Center, Grandfamilies of America, National Foster Care Coalition, National Kinship Alliance for Children and Voice for Adoption.